Lakes Aircraft Corp was founded in late 1928 in Cleveland, Ohio
using the former Martin facility. The company produced about
50 of the Martin T4M-1 (designated the TG-1) and attempted a civil
transport based on the design.
The company's most successful design was the 2-T-1
sport biplane of which about 250 were built.
The company's last aircraft of consequence was the
BG-1 scout-bomber for the US Navy.
A second Great Lakes Aircraft was formed in 1973
located in Wichita, Kansas that produced updated 2-T-1s.