Flugzeugbau AG was formed by Heinrich Focke and Georg Wulf on 1
January 1924 at Bremen. In its early years, the company
focused on light private and commercial transports.
Wulf was killed in 1927 in a test flight and by
1933 Focke was devoting his time to rotor aircraft. Kurt Tank
of BFW and Rohrbach was appointed designer and technical director.
Focke-Wulf expanded into training aircraft and
produced Messerschmitt designs while developing more advanced
After World War II, a new Focke-Wulf company was
formed which merged with Weser in 1963 to become VFW.