Tumanskii construction bureau (KB) began as the Mikulin KB
which was established in 1943.
Konstantinovich Tumanskii worked on superchargers during World
War II and became the deputy of the Mikulin KB. When Mikulin was removed in 1956, Tumanskii was
appointed General Constructor of the renamed bureau.
Since then, Tumanskii engines have been
built in larger numbers than any other construction bureau (well
over 70,000). Tumanskii is now known as MNPK Soyuz