Hirth founded Hirth Motoren in 1927. Hirth aircraft
engines were well-known for their excellent engineering and high
quality. Herr Hirth was killed in an aircraft crash in 1938
and the German government took control of the company.
After World War II, Hirth Motorenwerke
built small two-stroke engines. The company ran into problems
in 1974 due to the oil crisis.
Hans Göbler acquired the company renaming it Göbler-Hirthmotoren.
A reviving ultra-light market allowed the company to re-enter the
aircraft engine market.