Stuff You Can Buy
 
 
 
Other Stuff
 
 

Franklin Engines

Engines  The Company
 
First
Flight
Model Military Number Name
1941 4AC-199 O-200  
1941 6AC-298 O-300  
1944 6A6 O-425  
1945 6A4    
Franklin, with Continental and Lycoming, was one of the "big three" of horizontally-opposed engines in the late 1930s and early 1940s.  Franklin became an "also ran" after World War II.

History

1893: H.H. Franklin Manufacturing is formed.

1902: The first Franklin automobile is sold.  It has a four cylinder air-cooled engine.

1934: The Depression bankrupts Franklin

1937: A group of Franklin engineers buy the assets of H.H. Franklin Co. and form Air Cooled Motors Development Co.  Engines are marketed under the Franklin name.

1945: Air Cooled Motors is acquired by Republic Aircraft to produce engines for its RC-3 Seabee.

1948: Tucker Industries buys Air Cooled Motors from Republic to develop a liquid-cooled engine for the 1948 Tucker.

1961: Tucker sells Air Cooled Motors to Aero Industries which renames the company Franklin Engine Co.

1975: Rights to Franklin engines are bought by the Polish government which begins production of PZL-Franklin engines in Rzeszow.

 
 Related Websites
 
Go to the WSK PZL-Rzeszow website
Go to the Franklin Engines website
 

page updated 21 February 2008

 

 

Use of photographs | References  | Disclaimer | Privacy

 
   

Apple iTunes

free counters

   

Kenneth W Shanaberger 2000 - 2010